Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is a partnership of 36 independent and locally operated health insurance companies and organizations, covering almost a third of all Americans. Blue Cross was founded in 1929 and turned into the Blue Cross Association in 1960, while Blue Shield was founded in 1948. In 1982, the two firms merged to become Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBS).
Blue Cross partners include:
- Cambria Health Solutions
- Triple-S Management
Apex Recovery San Diego offers wide-ranging substance and alcohol abuse treatment and therapy in order to help you reclaim your life and own your sobriety. Depending on your plan and location, BCBS may offer coverage for substance abuse and/or mental health treatment. To determine whether your Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance plan covers rehabilitation at Apex Recovery, reach out now and speak with one of our professionals.
Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance Coverage Options
Blue Cross Blue Shield’s individual and family plans can be separated into three or four different categories, contingent upon your state. They are bronze, silver, gold, and platinum plans.
- Bronze – This plan has the lowest monthly healthcare costs and is recommended for those who rarely go to the doctor. This tier covers approximately 60% of medical costs and has a high deductible and low monthly payments.
- Silver – This plan covers approximately 70% of medical costs. This tier has a slightly higher monthly payment and a lower deductible than bronze.
- Gold – This plan covers approximately 80% of medical costs. This tier has a higher monthly payment and a lower deductible than silver.
- Platinum – This plan covers approximately 90% of medical costs. This tier has the highest monthly payment but the lowest deductible.
Blue Cross Blue Shield Addiction Treatment Coverage
Generally, BCBS health insurance plans cover at least a portion of the treatment for substance abuse. As mentioned above, your individual policy determines the particulars of what is covered. If a doctor believes that it is a medical necessity, most healthcare plans will cover medical detox. Substance use disorders that are typically deemed necessary include:
- Alcohol addiction
- Benzodiazepine addiction
- Oxycodone addiction
- Heroin addiction
Since detoxing from any of these substances can be extremely uncomfortable and sometimes fatal, doctors will recommend that you undergo treatment under the supervision of medical professionals and skilled nursing care.
The type of treatment center you select and the professionals who supervise you will depend on the particulars of your coverage.
- Preferred provider organization (PPO) – With PPO plans, you have a wide range of providers at your disposal, and you have the option to go to an out-of-network provider for a higher cost.
- Health maintenance organization (HMO) – With HMO plans, you are more limited to HMO-contracted programs.
Like most medical issues, there are cases where your insurance company covers only a share of the cost. So, if you have any questions, be sure to speak with Blue Cross Blue Shield to figure out what exactly they cover. You can also go to our verify insurance page, type in your information, and determine what’s covered in just a few minutes.